Biltmore Theatre

Building: 1940-present; Movie Theatre: 1940-1988

The Biltmore Theatre was constructed in 1940 and operated by the Okun Brothers of Toronto. The Oshawa theatre was the first in a chain of five Biltmore theatres, located around the province. The theatre opened to the public on April 4, 1940, and as part of their opening, it was advertized that dinnerware was given away to patrons.

The Biltmore is an example of Art Deco style, designed by Toronto architects Wilbur Ralph Webb, Alex Blythe, and Wallace C. Sproule. When it opened, the theatre was considered to be a model of modernity and sophistication. A thermometer, located on the exterior of the building, is original and still in place.

In the mid-20th century, there were four movie theatres located around downtown Oshawa, including the Marks, the Regent, and the Plaza (Hyland).

In 1947, Odeon Theatres of Canada Limited acquired the Biltmore Theatre. They continued using that name until 1969, when they operated as the Odeon. The theatre closed in 1988.

In the 1990s and 2000s, this location was a nightclub, operating under various names through the years.

In September 2020, the Biltmore Theatre property came under new ownership, who renovated the space and restored the Biltmore name. The space operates as a public hall, presenting national touring concerts, special events, and a rental space for community clientele.

Heritage Oshawa designed the Biltmore Theatre as a property of cultural heritage value or interest in 2022.

With information:

King Street East 39
Oshawa L1H 1B3 ON CA
Get directions