Conlin’s School

1874 - present

Conlin’s School was built around 1874, on the south side of Concession 5 (Conlin Road) and east of Simcoe Street. It was built in a style typical for one room schoolhouses. In 1948, there were 45 students enrolled at the school. A second Conlin Public school was opened in the 1950s, located on the west side of Simcoe Street, north of Conlin. In 1967, the publication East Whitby Mosaic¬†claimed the original Conlin’s school was one of the very few one-roomed schools still in use. It is unknown at this time when it stopped operating as a school.

The building is still standing and is today a private residence. The facade has changed and has since been covered with stucco.


Daily Times-Gazette, 23 Sep 1948, p. 8

Elsie M. Cleverdon, An East Whitby Mosaic (1967), 23.

Rate and write a review

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Walreg Drive 1998
Oshawa L1G 7W1 ON CA
Get directions