The aptly named Lakeview Park is a large public recreational space by the city waterfront.
Oshawa’s waterfront had been one of the earliest sites of pioneer settlement, and for quite a time was its own community, Port Oshawa, and was inhabited by a number of old pioneer families. By the 1890s the Lakefront was becoming a popular destination for day trippers and local citizens looking to relax. It was serviced by the Oshawa Railway Co.’s streetcars which ran down to the lake eleven times a day.
In 1920, 44 acres of land were donated to the city for $1 by George William McLaughlin and Robert Samuel McLaughlin. The McLaughlin brothers also provided thousands of dollars for its development as a park. It opened to the public in September of that year, though some of its better known features like the Jubilee Pavilion and the band shell would only be added in 1927. Some features of the 1920s park that did not survive to this day include a buffalo enclosure and cottages which could be rented.
One of the present day park’s most recognizable features, the Lady of the Lake fountain was first added in 1959, and moved to its current position in 2001.
The Park has a supervised beach, three baseball diamonds, five soccer fields, a picnic shelter, many gardens, a restaurant/confrence centre, and the Oshawa Museum.
Lakeview Park hosts a wide variety of events, including annual favourites like Ribfest, Autofest, and Canada Day festivities.
For more info on Lakeview Park, please visit our online exhibit, celebrating its 100+ year history: https://lakeviewparkoshawa.wordpress.com/