Original Station 1


Oshawa’s history with fire services first started on February 4, 1856. It started as a volunteer department with Mr. Patrick Thornton as Chief Engineer by order of By-law 33. Oshawa Fire Services started with humble beginnings, using an old one-handed operated pumper cart as their first piece of firefighting equipment. On July 20, 1868, the Oshawa Fire Department commenced as a full time department by By-law 142.

Chief P. Thornton supervised 50 men in the Fire Company, 15 men in the Hook and Ladder Company, and took responsibility for a number of ladders, house lines and an engine. 1875 was the year Chief Thornton acquired a Ronald Steam Pumper from the U.S.A. to replace the old hand pumper. Water for this pumper was provided by water storage cisterns, which were placed throughout the village.

Fire Station 1 became the new headquarters and first purpose built fire station for Oshawa Fire Services in 1951, replacing the old hall in the municipal building. In April 1953, Oshawa firefighters started operating the Oshawa ambulance Service. They provided this service for 20 years, answering more than 35,000 calls. The Oshawa Acupuncture Centre now operates at this address.

With information from:


Rate and write a review

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Simcoe Street North 113
Oshawa L1G 4S4 ON CA
Get directions