According to information from Heritage Oshawa, the house which became known as the Magner-Robson House was likely built in the 1860s. In the 1891 Census, the home was described as “stone, two storeys, with twelve rooms.” It was built in the Georgian tradition. The Magner family owned this property from the 1840s to the early 1900s. The house passed through three different owners until 1944 when the home and property were purchased by Charles N. Robson for $6500.
Robson was the grandson of James Robson, the founder of Robson Leather. Charles was involved with the business, at the helm with his brother after the death of their father, Charles Sr. During the Second World War, (1939-45), production for the war effort was a priority. Nearly 100% of all production went towards the war effort, with 60% of Canada Armed Forces wearing upper leathers made by Robson. About 10,000 of these uppers were being produced daily.
Charles Robson called his property the Cluaran Farm. He undertook extensive renovations to the home when he acquired it in the mid-1940s. It stayed in the Robson family until it was acquired by the Ministry of Transportation. The house was along the path of the 407 East extension, and it was demolished in the early 2010s, despite efforts to have the house moved.
“Magner – Robson House, 268 Winchester Road West” Research Report prepared by Su Murdoch Historical Consulting (2002).