Located near the corner of Harmony and King Street lays the Farewell Pioneer Cemetery. As the name suggests it was originally the private burial grounds of the Farewell family, who settled in the area way back in 1801. The Ackeus Moody Farewell also allowed the Brown and Hinton families to use the plot. The earliest burial was that of Benjamin Stone in 1831. The most recent burial was David Farewell’s in 1941.
In 1956 ownership of the cemetery passed from the deceased Carlston Harmon to the city. On the 12th of March, 1968 the cemetery was closed to further burials as per a Lieutenant Governor Order in Council. A memorial cairn containing most of the site’s tombstones was dedicated in 1979.
An additional 38 burials were discovered outside the cemetery while the city was doing roadwork in 1993. Between July and September of that year the remains were dug up and reinterred within the cemetery along with any personal belongings found by the archaeologists. Some Farewell descendants had concerns with this action.
The legal adress of the site is 0 Harmony Road South.