Until the 1930s, Roman Catholics in Oshawa had only one church where they could worship – St. Gregory’s. In 1937, Holy Cross Catholic Church was built.
Due to its proximity to the neighbourhoods in which many Eastern European communities were founded, Catholic immigrants of Polish, Croatian, Italian and other ethnic backgrounds would attend services at Holy Cross. For instance, many Polish Catholics attended and were very involved in the parish life of Holy Cross, especially up until St. Hedwig’s Polish Catholic Church began being built in the 1950s. Often, community groups would have a designated service in their native language – a few times a month or even once a week. Italian language courses were also offered at Holy Cross Catholic School in the 1960s-70s.
While Pereyma Secondary school was being constructed in the late 1980s, classes were being held at Holy Cross school as well as in the basement of the church