The Beth Zion Synagogue officially opened in 1956. Prior to moving to the King Street East location, the Oshawa Hebrew Congregation gathered at a house that they owned at 45 Albert St. which served as the home of Oshawa’s Jewish community for 28 years. The congregation spent the remaining years at the Albert St. house planning the opening of the Beth Zion Synagogue.
The opening of Oshawa’s first Synagogue meant a large celebration. Many community members were invited to the event, including Conservative M.P. Michael Starr as well as religious leaders from around Durham. At the time, Mr. M. Swartz was the leader of the Hebrew Congregation. In his celebratory speech, he announced that the purpose of the Synagogue was to be a place for “worship, study and sociability.”
The Synagogue remains to be a place of congregation. When it opened in the 1950s, there were few Jewish congregations in the area. Now, the Beth Zion Synagogue is one of many Jewish Synagogues in Durham Region.