Located in north Oshawa, Camp Samac is filled with memories of scouting and guiding, and it continues to be a place for exploration and adventure.
The 150 acres, formerly known as Brookside Park, was donated to Scouts Canada in 1943 by R.S. McLaughlin of General Motors. The camp’s name is a portmanteau of Col. Sam’s name (Sam McLaughlin), in recognition of his generosity.
Prior to opening, Lady Baden-Powell travelled to Canada to plant a maple tree by the camp’s Simcoe Street entrance. Camp Samac officially opened on September 5, 1946 in a ceremony led by Lord Rowallan, the Chief Scout of the British Empire.
The original pool was added between 1951 and 1952, and at that time it was the only Olympic-sized pool between Toronto and Montreal. In 1964 the Kichie Lodge was added to the site, adding accommodations for 80 people. In 1982 it was joined by a 36 bed bunk house. The original pool was replaced during site renovations in 1993.
Today, Camp Samac hosts a number of scouting events including the annual Join In Jamboree, celebrating scouting around the world. It also hosts a number of non-scout and guiding related events, such as Central Lake Ontario Conservation Authority’s annual Watershed Festival and the Oshawa Art Association’s Art Festival.