John Lewis Beaton was born in Blackwater in 1891. Before establishing Beaton’s Dairy in Oshawa in 1928, he had a long history with the industry, managing Orillia Creamery Co., founding Elmvale Creamery in 1924, and he would later found Collingwood Creamery in 1940. Beaton’s Dairy was supplied by the dairy cattle on his lakeshore farm property.
Beaton’s Dairy was located at 245 King Street West, just east of Park Road. They would make daily delivery trips made to Bowmanville, Whitby, Pickering, and Brooklin. Beaton’s boasted a full line of dairy products, including butter, ice cream, and a “Chocolate Milk Drink.”
In 1928, Beaton’s Dairy merged with Maple Leaf Dairy, keeping the name Beaton’s. It was sold to Oshawa Dairy in 1963.
It was reported in the Oshawa Daily Times in 1928, “Quality, scrupulous cleanliness in premises, staff, and service have made Beaton’s Dairy Products household words in Oshawa and district within a few weeks after the first of them were offered for sale.”